" "blank

Friday, July 2, 2010

Kristin's story: Weeks 1 & 2

About Kristin
Hello Mama Bootcamp! My name is Kristin and I’m so excited to share my Mama Bootcamp journey with you. Sharing my beginning stats with you did not excite me…no offense but that took a little soul searching. Letting it all hang out on the internet? Um….not really my style. But, after giving it some thought, I realized that it doesn’t really matter where I am right now because I don’t plan on being here long. After my first two weeks of Mama Bootcamp I am hooked and there’s no looking back.

Ok, I lied…I am going to look back just a little just to give you an idea of how I got here. Up until my mid-thirties I had always been thin and pretty consistently active. My diet, however, left much to be desired - it was heavy on sugar and diet soda. I had my first son in my early 20s and within a year I was thinner than before my pregnancy. I was thin, but I wasn’t being kind to my body. After having two more sons in my mid to late 30s, my old habits were suddenly no longer working for me. By the summer of 2007 I had gained an extra 40 pounds and I was miserable.

Then, in March of 2008, I was diagnosed with cancer. In April of 2008 I had major surgery and again in April of 2009. By the end of last year, I took a look in the mirror and honestly did not recognize myself. Don’t get me wrong, I am so grateful to be here and I’m proud to call myself a survivor. I’m just no longer satisfied with merely surviving. I want to get back out there and truly LIVE.

Kristin's Beginning With Mama Bootcamp
A couple of weeks ago I woke up and said enough is enough. I have to do something. By chance, I received a copy of Style Magazine that morning and saw an article on Lorri Ann of Mama Bootcamp. I picked up the phone and called her and, during that conversation, I made up my mind that I was going to sign up. We met on Wednesday night to do my intake and my first bootcamp was that Saturday with Lorri Ann herself. I was so excited and I couldn’t wait to get started! I immediately began following the MOJO menu plan and was amazed at how quickly my sugar cravings disappeared. I was primed for my first class.

I have to laugh when I look back to that first bootcamp. I honestly was in tears multiple times during those 90 minutes. It was a truly humbling (but necessary) experience for me. I was mortified by how out of shape I had become. Lorri Ann told us to modify and take breaks if we were new. But being the stubborn person that I am, I might have overdone it just a tad. I limped away from that class with my tail between my legs and limped my way through the weekend..literally! I was so sore that I had to use both hands to pick my left leg up to get in and out of my car.

Determined to keep at it, I dragged my now useless leg to Holly’s class on Monday night and *gasp* modified my way through that class to compensate for my strained hip flexor. That in itself was a huge victory. In the past, if I was that sore from a workout, I would not work out again until the soreness was gone. In case you’re wondering, that is not a good policy. I was surprised by how much I could still do, and running at that class definitely helped work out some of the soreness in my muscles. On to Wednesday night and continued modifications…I am on a roll!

Enter Thursday with a cough and sore throat. Really? Is this some sort of joke? My leg is still so sore that I can’t do any flutter kicks or pikes and now I can’t swallow either? No fever though, so off I go to Lisa’s Friday night Power Hour. Woo Hoo! Go Me! My first week was complete and, despite the body combat I’ve been engaged in all week, I’ve managed to meet my goal of four bootcamps per week.

Week Two
Week two had much less drama in store for me. Despite the crazy-hot weather for Monday night’s class and my continued battle with the cough and sore throat, I did not miss a class this week either. Not only that, but I’m AMAZED at how much stronger I am already. My hip flexor is feeling much better already and I’m able to prone plank on my toes now! No more knees for me! Just last night with Amanda, I increased to 8lb weights for the BFAS (Big Fat Arm Set). In less that two weeks, people! Can I get a WOOT WOOT?!

Kristin's Beginning Stats:

Age: 42
Height: 5’7”
Starting Weight: 160
Starting Body Fat%: 33
Goal Weight: 130-140 and/or a size 6


Goals For Week Three
One of my mini goals for week three is to stay off of the scale. As of Wednesday I had only lost one pound and, although I understand the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing, it’s still tough to see the scale stay stagnant. It messes with my head a little and ,to be honest, between that and my throat, I’m finding it hard not to undercut my calories right now. So that’s definitely something I’ve got to set straight. You also may notice that I haven’t said too much about my water intake. I am struggling with that. It seems so simple and yet everyday I fall short in that area…it’s definitely something I’m going to have to work on.

Have a safe and happy 4th of July! See you next week!

K

No comments: