" "blank

Friday, July 9, 2010

Kristin's story: Week 3

Well, I survived the holiday weekend and I can’t tell you how ecstatic I am to be back into my routine. All things considered, the weekend went very well. We went to Sonoma for the 4th of July but, before we left town, I made sure to start the weekend right with Saturday morning bootcamp. I came home and had a green smoothie (almond milk, spinach, frozen banana and protein powder), finished packing up and off we went. My biggest concern for the weekend was food. I knew we were going to do a ton of walking and I would be able to run if I wanted, but food was going to be tricky. We were staying with family in town and I knew there would be some restaurant eating as well as big group meals.

I faced my first challenge Saturday evening when everyone decided they wanted to go to an Italian restaurant for dinner. This restaurant has great pizza and pasta…and the bread..oh my! When we got there I was happy to see it was relatively easy to find something that I would feel good about eating. They had a “protein plate” that consisted of chicken breast (or hamburger patty) with sautéed mushrooms. I ordered that with a house salad (fat free dressing on the side). The chicken breast was huge, so I ate a little less than half of that and about 1/3 of the mushrooms plus my salad. I’ll admit that I did consider pizza for a minute….but it felt so good to wake up the next morning knowing I had made a better choice.

The rest of the weekend went very well. I ate my oatmeal for breakfast every morning and stuck to my apples and veggies for snack and chose water *almost* every time. When it was BBQ time on the 4th, I filled my plate with salad and topped it with a few ounces of tri tip. It was delicious and I didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything. I did have a couple of cocktails over the course of the weekend, but overall I’d say my diet was about 80% good.

On Monday, we went into the city (San Francisco) with out-of-town family. I packed my workout gear and planned to change at the ferry terminal so I could be dropped off at Maidu Park for bootcamp on the way home. I freaked out a little when we missed the ferry and had to take a later one. Being already two hours behind schedule and missing the ferry meant that I didn’t make it to bootcamp. When we got home I went for a run, so at least it wasn’t a total loss.

As I was reviewing the weekend, the “all or nothing” side of me was frustrated with the fact that I wasn’t going to come back home with a “perfect” report. But, then I thought about what my weekend would have looked like before Mama Bootcamp and realized that this is progress that I can (and should) be proud of.

On to week four!


Angel said...

I loved reading this...I'm going to be coming out to my 1st mama bootcamp next weekend (17th) and hearing your away from home experience and great choices is very inspiring! From my perspective...you did an awesome job with your choices!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm so excited for you...you are going to love Mama Bootcamp! See you there! :)