" "blank

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Body care by Lorri Ann

All of my Mamas are so excited about beginning their healthy life style that they sometimes forget that part of their new lifestyle has to be body care! We are huge believers in training injury FREE. Here are 5 tips on how to keep your body feeling good and looking great:

  1. Stretching: I can’t tell you how many times I would throw on my running shoes without stretcthing before or after! I thought stretching was a waste of my time and I did not need to do it because I felt fine. That is, until I started having a chronic hip problem. I was advised by my doctor that I had to stretch and the whole problem was related to me not making the time. I now hold my stretches for 30 to 60 seconds and just make it part of day! And guess what? I have no more issues with my tissues!
  2. Foam rolling: I love foam rolling! It literally irons out all of the knots and tight spots. It alleviates soreness and helps your body heal. You should foam roll a few times a week!
  3. Ice plunge: This is fabulous for heling your body recover after a hard workout. It speeds the recovery process, healing micro-tears in the muscle fibers, increases circulation, and flushes waste products from your body. The best place to ice plunge is in your bathtub. Water temperature should be 54 to 65 degrees fahrenheit. Stay in the water for a minimum of 5 minutes, maximum of 10 minutes. Do not finish with a warm shower or bath because the body slowly warming again is actually part of the process. This is one of my favorites!
  4. Massage: Who doesn’t LOVE a great massage? But besides being a wonderful experience, it is actually healing and therapeutic. Depending on your training schedule, once a week to once a month is preferable.
  5. Hydrate: water, water, water! There are sooo many fabulous benefits to drinking your water. Mama Bootcamp recommends 80 to 100 ounces of water every day. One of the first signs of dehydration is fatigue and the second sign can be a headache. Also, water flushes toxins and free radicals out and helps your internal organs do their jobs more efficiently. Water helps your kidneys to do their job and your liver to metabolize fat and flush out toxins. You will burn 30% fewer calories if you are even 2% dehydrated! Your skin and hair will also reap the benefits because water is moisture from the inside out!

Enjoy these tips and remember body care is just as important as your workouts!

No comments: