|These are uncooked and have marinara sauce added on top|
Earlier this month Lorri Ann featured this recipe on her Fox 40 Mojo Monday segment. We also made this recipe at our most recent Make Ahead Meal Session.
You can view the video of that segment here- Heart Healthy Meal For Your Loved One
You can learn to make other great meals like this one at our monthly Make Ahead Meal Sessions. Space is limited so sign up today! Be sure to click on the Events tab to see the information on an upcoming session.
Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
By Erika Huckaby, adapted from http://damndelicious.net/
This meatless high protein meal is incredibly simple to assemble and leaves plenty of opportunity to adjust to your tastes. You can increase the heat adding chilies or more chili powder. Depending on the time of year, you can use fresh cut corn and tomatoes for a fresh and sweet taste.
• 3 cups cooked quinoa
• 1 cup corn kernels
• 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 cup petite diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
• 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 1 teaspoon cumin
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 6 bell peppers, tops cut, stemmed and seeded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine quinoa, corn, beans, tomatoes, cheese, cilantro, cumin, garlic, and chili powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Spoon the filling each bell pepper cavity. Place on prepared baking dish, cavity side up, and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, about 25-30 minutes. Serve!
To make ahead and freeze: Wrap each cooked and cooled pepper in plastic wrap and then place in a freezer safe bag. Defrost and warm as needed. Or, wrap each filled pepper uncooked and place in a freezer bag. Then you can defrost and cook as written in step 3.