" "blank

Friday, October 14, 2011

Ashley's Story: Sweet Success!

Last week, I told you that Lorri Ann was doing my second set of measurements last Monday. I think I almost exploded through the roof of the McKinley pool house when she told me my numbers. I'm down 48.5 inches overall and down 18% body fat! IN SIX WEEKS!!! I knew that I was going to have some loss, but never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be that much.

Why was I so shocked? Because in the time I lost all those inches and all of that body fat, I had only lost five pounds. I had stopped getting on the scale because I was feeling so defeated by it. I'm glad I did, because my results showed up in my measurements, not the scale.

So, what's different this time around? Why is it working for me now when it hasn't before? There are a few reasons.

1. I have a workout buddy. At the end of August, my son's daycare provider (who has now become a good friend) asked if I wanted to start walking with her every morning. We walk about 45 minutes each weekday. Knowing that she's walking down to meet me each morning is the motivation I needed to get out of bed and get active first thing in the morning.

2. I saw what bad food choices were doing to someone I loved. Two people who I'm very close to have struggled with food for as long as I can remember. It's starting to show in their health and their lives. I expressed my worry recently and was met with a response that felt like a slap in the face - "Promise me you'll just be at peace when I'm gone." Unconsciously, this person was choosing her addiction to horrible foods over more time here with me and others she loves. I've decided to stop choosing food over the people who are important to me - my husband, my children, my friends, and myself.

3. I got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I wanted to run around with my daughter. I wanted to be awake enough to enjoy time with my son. I wanted to feel good enough about myself to enjoy time with my husband. Some things in my life needed to change and the way I take care of myself was the biggest change that needed to be made.

So, I've been working at it. I will honestly admit that I haven't completely said goodbye to the drive-thrus or the ice cream. I don't do all the exercise that I could. But I'm doing what I can right now and trying to take small steps into a better, healthier lifestyle. This change is hard. I'm still a work in progress, but I just don't mind doing the work as much as I used to. In fact, I'm enjoying it.

No comments: